Sunday, November 18, 2012

If our World is so mobile, why am I still here?

When the temperature starts to drop below 0 (32 for you Americans), the question always enters my mind.  Why do I still live here?  In an age when moving is so easily facilitated by air planes and moving companies,  and corporations have head offices all around the world, why do I choose to stay in Canada?  The idea of transporting myself to somewhere warmer permanently is so attractive and exciting.  And yet here I still am, in the same city, for 40 something years.  My kids are grown and don't need me (just my bank card) and I now have the freedom to go where I want to.  So out comes the notepad to compile my list of pros and cons.
 Winter, definitely con.  I hate to shovel or drive in snow.  Spring, summer, fall, pro.  The change of seasons is such a vibrant and renewing experience.  I would definitely miss weekend getaways in the Muskokas.  Cost of living, con.  Why even when our dollar stands at par with the Benjamin can I drive across the border and find the same priced item for less?  Rate of pay, benefits, health care, pro, pro, pro.  No where else could my husband and I move and be able to get the same pay and all our benefits plus free health care.  Believe me, at least once a year, we look at job boards down south.  No job even comes close.  And of course the big one-family, pro and con depending on the day.  With our parents aging and needing more assistance, it's nice to be living close to them in case of emergencies.  I know the crisis my sister in England always feels when something happens and she has to decide if the situation warrants a flight across the pond.

And there it is, as usual, for now, it's best to stay put.  When it's time to retire, I am hoping my list shows me otherwise but I think I could never permanently leave.  Like my American husband says "you're so Canadian" and I guess I always will be but one day I hope to be a snowbird, at the very least.

No comments:

Post a Comment