Saturday, November 24, 2012

Merry Christmas! Am I allowed to say that?

Black Friday begins the Season of Shopping.  As shoppers rush around looking for the great deals available this weekend, I am at home decorating my house for Christmas and pondering the political correctness that has clouded over the Season of Peace and Giving.
Our city has changed the "Merry Christmas" lights that have lit up our city my entire life to "Seasons Greetings".  There was even talk a few years back to
not have a Christmas tree at City Hall in Toronto.  There was worry about offending non Christians, but religious groups stepped up and said they liked the tree and were not against it.  I was thrilled to have the groups that the politicians try so hard to speak for say not to change the tradition and point at them for the reason for the change.  Our country was built on Christianity but we are also a melting pot of people from all nations.  We welcome you here to make Canada your home, build your places of worship and celebrate your traditions.  What I don't believe is that we should change our traditions and our words.  I should be free to greet people with Merry Christmas and if you wish me a Happy Hanukkah or Happy Kwanzaa etc., I will smile and repeat your greeting back to you.  I will smile because it is a reminder to me that this cultural mix is what makes Canada great and happy that we can live side by side peacefully and celebrate the season together.
So as we push past each other to get the last Elmo, lets remember what this time of year means to all of us.  Not the shopping or the drinking but the true meaning behind our traditions.  Lets share our differences and celebrate with peace, harmony and tolerance. Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment